top of page
Single post: Blog_Single_Post_Widget

How to Get a European Student Visa

Student visa | European | Process | Study Oversea

If you’re coming from overseas to study in the European Union (EU), you will need a European student visa. We know that the rules might be confusing and we get a lot of requests to help out. So here you go, this is your guide for everything you need to know about getting a European student visa!

Who needs a visa

First, you should be familiar with the term Schengen, which is a pact between 26 European countries which have dissolved passport control at their common borders. It’s important you know that the UK and Ireland aren’t part of the Schengen area, so a Schengen student visa will not grant you access to study in those countries.

You must apply for a Schengen student visa if you’re a citizen of a country which requires a visa to travel into Schengen. If your studies are longer than 90 days, you must apply for a long-stay visa or a residency permit for the country you wish to study in.

The paperwork you will need

You’ll have to print and fill in the visa application form and bring it along to your appointment at the embassy or consulate. The following is a list of things you’ll need to prepare. I know it might feel a bit overwhelming to gather so much documentation and pay so many fees in advance, but just get started and try to tick off 1-2 items a day and you’ll be done in no time!

  • Make sure your passport has more than 3 months left until expiration (make it 6 months to be safe)

  • You must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay, for example cash in your bank account, cheque books, travelers cheques, credit cards, or any other hard currency to prove sufficient funds

  • 2 up-to-date passport photos (check in advance what size your embassy or consulate requires)

  • Bring your travel itinerary/tickets with you

  • Proof of medical or travel insurance for your entire duration of study

  • Bring your host university’s letter of acceptance

  • Bring a receipt of visa processing fee payment from your bank

  • You’ll need proof of housing, unless you can prove that you have enough funds.

  • That’s where Student Mundial can help! Once you’ve booked a place, you’ll receive email confirmation. Student Mundial will also write an official letter confirming the payment that you will need to present to the embassy.

Once you’ve assembled the documentation listed above, bring it to the local consulate or embassy of the country you’re applying to study in. Look in advance if there’s a need to schedule an appointment. A tip from the pros: get there early to avoid queuing!

Additional information

Validity: the duration is 90 days, so if you’re studying longer than that, you must get a long-stay visa or residency permit at the authorities in the host country. Usually you’ll have to apply for the permit once you arrive in the Schengen country (with a Schengen visa). If you get approved, it will be stamped into your passport

Travel: Once you’ve got a residency permit from your host country, you can travel within the whole Schengen area with it as you please. Just make sure to ask the authorities about multiple entries to and from countries outside Schengen.

Waiting time: Usually it takes about a month to receive your visa, but it might take up to 3 months. If you’re denied one, the authorities will notify you about it. It takes some time, so don’t wait until the last minute, get started right away.!

If you are looking to work or study in the US, Get in touch with ADMIVO, a company of repute for Admissions Consulting and Employement services. A Guaranteed preparation in town. Delivered Successful results. University Counseling | Internship | VISA | Analytics | GRE | GMAT | TOEFL | IELTS | SAT | PTE | BIG DATA | HORTONWORKS PREPARATION 999-360-0076

bottom of page